Frequently Asked Questions

      Dental Division




What causes dental caries?
Dental decay is influenced by how often sugar is consumed rather than the total amount of sugar eaten. Bacteria present in our mouths turn sugars and starches in our food into acid which causes dental decay.
What are the causes of gum disease?
Gum disease is caused by plaque that accumulates between and around the necks of teeth. The bacteria in plaque produces toxins that irritate gum tissues. This will give rise to reddened, inflamed and bleeding gums. If not controlled, gum disease can spread to the supporting fibres and bone that hold teeth in place and eventually cause the teeth to become loose.
What should I do if I experience a toothache in the middle of the night?
Taking two tabs (1000mg) of Paracetamol (Panadol) usually stops/reduces the pain. Seek dental treatment the next morning.
What can I do to maintain good oral health during pregnancy?
Oral health is important for general health and might affect your pregnancy, hence it is extremely important to pay close attention to any signs of gum disease.
It is important to maintain a proper daily oral care routine,which should include proper tooth brushing and flossing.
· Visits to the dental clinic should be done early in the pregnancy to enable the dental professional to identify oral health problems that might require treatment.

Why do my gums bleed when I brush my teeth?
Bleeding gums are often a sign of gum disease. This condition will usually resolve when care is taken to remove plaque by daily brushing and flossing of teeth. Bleeding gums are also common during periods of hormonal changes as seen during puberty and pregnancy. Although rare, bleeding gums may be a sign of blood disorders.
Is my special child more prone to dental problems?

Yes, special children are often associated with:

· High levels of plaque and poor oral hygiene
· Higher levels of gum disease and tooth loss
· More untreated decayed teeth.

When should I take my child to visit the dentist?

Ideally, your child’s first dental visit should be before his/her first or second birthday. In addition to examining for decay and other problems, the dentist will teach proper teeth cleaning techniques for your child’s teeth as well as evaluate him/her for any negative habits such as thumb sucking. You will also be building a lifetime of the presence of good dental habits.

How do I care for my dentures?
  • If you are using dentures, remove them before brushing your teeth and then clean your dentures separately.
  • It is very important to practise good oral hygiene to ensure the health of your remaining natural teeth and gums is maintained.
  • After each meal, remove dentures from your mouth and rinse it to clean away any food debris.
  • Clean your dentures with a toothbrush and soap carefully everyday.
  • Soak dentures in a container of water/ denture cleanser when not in use.
  • Most importantly, DO NOT sleep with dentures in your mouth.

How does fluoride protect my teeth from decay?

- Fluoride reduces the solubility of tooth enamel by acid.
- It reduces acid production by plaque bacteria.
- Fluoride also promotes the repair of tooth enamel in areas that have been demineralised (dissolved) by acids.

What advice should I follow after dental extraction?

After dental extraction, the following practices should be followed:
i. Bite gauze and swallow saliva as usual until the blood stops.
ii. Do not bite your cheeks or lips.
iii. Do not rinse for at least 1 hour after extraction.
iv. Do not purposely touch the extracted area.
v. Eat soft diet and avoid hot food and drinks.
vi. Encouraged to relax and do not do heavy duty work.
vii. If still bleeding and you have a problem, seek immediate treatment at the nearest dental clinic or hospital.

What documents must be brought to the Dental Clinic?

i. For Children
   - Certificate of Birth / MyKid
   - Infants And Child’s Health Book (For Children under the age of 4
            year)- Accompanied by mother / father or guardian aged 21 years or older

ii. Student
    - Letter from school
    - MyKid / Identity Card
    - Accompanied by mother / father or guardian aged 21 years or older

iii. Outpatient
     - Identity Card

     Non – Citizen - Identification Documents
    - A Copy of the Marriage Certificate (If husband / wife       are citizen)
    - A copy of Identity card of the husband / wife

iv. Ante-natal Mothers
    – Ante-natal Book
    - Identity card

    Non – citizen
    - Ante-natal Book
    - Identification Documents
    - A copy of Marriage Certificate (If the husband is a citizen)
v. Pensioners

    - Pensioner’s card and a copy of it     
- Identity card

Can a foreigner get dental care at the dental clinic?

Treatment will only be given to emergency cases. The rates will be charged according to the latest guidelines.


Last Update :

13 November 2015